photo home_zps66r0wuvt.jpg  photo about_zpsrdvqxcdz.jpg  photo fitness_zpseoqv6hwj.jpg  photo god_zpszhje6low.jpg  photo style_zpsa4x56a5n.jpg  photo family_zpsi0tk1kxg.jpg

Monday, February 13, 2017

Healthy Brownie Recipe

I don’t want to say this, but I’m going to. I think I have officially made the best healthy brownies ever! I know that sounds conceited, maybe too bold, which isn’t my personality, but I swear you will completely agree after you make them.


I made these a couple of Sunday’s ago out of desperation. This is how it happened… I’ve been wanting something sweet after dinner almost every night (which isn’t something I normally do), but I was wanting something healthy that would help curb that sweetness. I started wandering around the kitchen, then remembered I got these two amazing cookbooks from Against All Grain (Danielle Walker's- Celebration & Against All Grain- Eat Well & Feel Great). Yay she has brownies in her cookbook, butttt I didn’t have all of the ingredients so I improvised. I had read a couple of different blogs and articles about making desserts healthier with black beans and dates. So, why not start now? If they don’t taste good I’ll throw them out.
                                

I was wanting something fudgy-tasting, moist, and something with a distinct chocolate flavor. I still wanted to crusty part on top just like when you cook brownies out of a box. I had heard that black beans can make that crusty part, so here it goes…


With the little knowledge I had about black beans and dates, this recipe seemed a little scary. However, the instructions were surprisingly easy! No melting, whipping with a mixer, or adding the dry to the wet ingredients! All it had said was to put everything in a food processor, mix the chocolate chips in (use red & pink for Valentine's Day), and cook for 30 mins in the oven. Sounds simple, right?!


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Take all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips and process until smooth. Stir in the measured chocolate chips to the mix.

Since I was using dates I didn’t use the honey the recipe called for. I even threw in some applesauce that I had! 

Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pan (8 x 8 is what I used but use what you have), smoothing the top with the back of the spoon.

Bake for 30 mins and they are ready! I didn’t check with a toothpick because I wanted them somewhat moist. I was licking the knife clean!

These healthy brownies are low in carbs and fat. Super clean and healthy for the whole family. Enjoy!


Healthy Brownie Recipe 

-14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
-2 eggs
-1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (one individual cup equals ½ cup)
-1/2 to 1/4 cup packed pitted Medjool dates (depending on how sweet you desire)
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1/2 cup cocoa powder
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/2 to 1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (maybe red & pink) 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line your baking dish with parchment paper. (You can spray with cooking spray if you want but I didn’t). 

2. Add all ingredients, except the dairy-free chocolate chips, to a food processor and process until smooth. Add the chocolate chips and stir. 

3. Pour batter evenly into baking dish, and for a little treat you can top with more dairy-free chocolate chips. Smooth the top with the back of the spoon before adding the extra chips if you decided. 

4. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let the brownies cool for about 10 minutes. Cut into 16 squares.


*Refrigerate in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment